How do I take Action from what I read?
Have you struggled with having so much to read, watch, or listen
and not have time to get through it all?
You don't have a time issue
You have a consumption problem
Content creators love to put more and more content out for their fans
As a consumer you need to filter what you pay attention to
and act on the information that the content provides
Questions to ask when you are consuming information
- Is this in agreement or contrary to my belief?
- What is this similar to that I can explain the concepts in my own words?
- How much of this information is actionable? How much of it is platitudes?
- What is a similar situation I can apply the concepts to in my life?
Example - Trimming the fat in your content diet
Your content diet is like your nutritional diet.
Is this in agreement or contrary to my current belief?
It's in agreement, in a different way than I originally thought
What is this similar to that I can explain the concepts in my own words?
To look better and feel better you need to consume better foods
To think and learn better you need to consume better information
How much of the information is actionable?
Actionable ways to trim your information diet
- Make a list of all the sources you currently read, including social media, email, youtube accounts, etc
- Categorize them by the quality of information, genre, density of insights, and other metrics that are important to you
- Make a judgement based on the scoring whether to keep, delete, or defer the information source
- Do this every half or year - it takes time for an emergent view on the information source. not all publications can be 100% hits